When you have to take time off work because of illness, writing a formal sick leave letter to notify your employer about the situation should be your first step. This can help ensure that you and the employer both have a record of your intentions and sick leave dates, and keep you in a safe position for your return to work. These types of leave letter samples can help you find the right format and the right words to communicate with your boss.
Tips to write a sick leave letter
- You must give your boss a reason for his absence.
- Give a clear description of how long you will be absent from work.
- You must be able to handle your availability to communicate.
- Make it clear whether you will be able to work or not shortly.
- Provide doctor’s notes and other documentation that can serve as evidence.
- Give the name of your main person who will be dependent to be able to do your job.
- Professional closing of the letter, this affects your letter.
Format and Contents of Sick Leave Letter
You must state briefly the main reason for your leave, describe the illness, and whether your doctor has ordered the leave. It is best to use a concise and formal writing style in the format of your sick leave letter. The body of the letter should clearly state the number of days you expect to be absent from work as well as the exact date you can resume work. It should display your name, title, address, and date at the top of the page. If you can be reached during the leave, please provide your contact number or email address. Ensure company policies must be followed by providing a doctor’s note to support your sick leave request.
How to make a sick leave letter
Dear Ms. Hanny,
This letter is to inform you that I will be taking two weeks of sick leave from January 1 to January 15, as I currently cannot come to work due to the flu. My doctor has suggested that I take this leave to rest, recuperate, and avoid spreading illness in the office. Please see the notes attached to this letter. I apologize for the inconvenience this leave has caused and look forward to returning to the office as usual once I have recovered sufficiently.
I will finish my current project from my home whenever possible and fax it to the office. Once I return to my office on August 16, I plan to do as much as possible to make up for the lost time. I can be contacted during my leave with any questions or concerns. Feel free to leave me a message by phone at (111) -111-1111 or by email if clarification is needed on the matter. Thanks for your consideration.
- Medical Leave Letter from Doctor
- What is a Medical Leave Letter from a Doctor
- 1+ Sample Medical Doctor Note
- 10+ Sample Doctor Note for Work
- Absence Report Template
- Appreciation Letter from Patient to Doctor and the Letter Sample
- Maternity Leave Letter to Employer and Its Sample
- A Family Emergency Leave Letter
- 10+ Doctor Note Template Sample
- 5+ Printable Doctors Note for School Templates
- What is a vacation leave letter?
- Sample Medical Report Template
- 10+ Doctors Note Sample
- 10+ Excuse Note for Work and School Printable
- Use Maternity Leave Letter to Employer to Apply for Your Maternity Leave
- 10+ School Excuse Notes Sample
- What is maternity leave to parents?
- 10+ Printable Doctor Receipt Template
- 10+ Doctors Note Template and What to Benefit from Making Very Good Use of It
- What Is A Doctor Recommendation Letter
- What is a Nurse Recommendation Letter
- Pastor Resignation Letter and Its Sample
- What is a maternity leave letter to parents?
- Use No Show Appointment Letter for Missed Appointment Notifications